Saturday, September 13, 2014

Time to Start Embracing the Winter Blues?

This morning (ahem, afternoon) I woke up and opened my bedroom door to find a beautiful big parcel waiting for me in midnight blue wrapping. 

Like a brat on Christmas Day, I tore the box open with pens, scissors and axes in order to reach my new babies. They are my new Zara moccasins and they are now my favourite children who I honour even above my beloved pair of brown moccasins from Chicago, and my graduation gift Chelsea boots from my brother.

I diverged from my original plan in two ways:

i) I'm a Winter baby by birth and nature, so whenever September creeps around I get super excited for the autumn season. I thrive on Fall/Winter fashion and dread the onset of summer every year. There's nothing worse than the itchy, sweaty restlessness of hot weather in an Urban setting.
Sartorially I don't know how to act as I have around eight winter coats but only like two summer dresses, and most of my shoes are suitable for matching with trousers, tights and little else.
But I digress! Yes, I was supposed to be building up my autumn/winter staples this year ie, very basic items of clothing that can be worn a billion different ways (plain black t-shirt, a white button-down shirt etc), so the original plan was to buy a pair of shiny black loafers which were cheap and go with pretty much everything in my wardrobe. I figured however, that you can find black loafers pretty much anywhere but once my new blue ones went out of stock, I knew I'd regret not having bought them.

ii) As I still retain the status of a broke, indebted and unemployed graduate, I am in no position to be buying fancy shoes. My plan was to wait until I secure a job and then buy myself the shoes as a kind of celebration gift. Of course impatience got the better of me, and I as I assured my father this afternoon: these shoes act as moral boosters. It doesn't matter how much or little money I have because once I put these shoes on, I look and feel like a million bucks!

If you like the look of my new shoes  you can find them here at Zara.

If you're willing to splash out a little bit more and are looking for a similar style and colour, try these Chester Tassel Loafers from Russell and Bromley or these suede shoes from Tod's.
Guys should definitely consider these navy moccasins from Zara or Reiss's suede loafers.

Whatever you go for, my satisfaction in my new purchase compels me to believe that we should all definitely be deflecting our winter blues towards our feet, and experimenting with every shade from bottle-green to navy to midnight. These shoes in these shades not only add a splash of sophistication to any casual outfit, they also shake up an otherwise dull formal get-up. I absolutely promise that you'll receive endless compliments with a pair of blue loafers on your feet, especially in a suede texture.

Try not to get too bogged down with finding a bargain; although you shouldn't be making yourself bankrupt, I feel as though shoes come under the category (along with coats, jewellery and fragrances) of possessions that you should try not to scrimp on, as you get exactly what you pay for. You'll feel the pinch when investing in a quality pair, but they'll last you forever and if looked after properly, will look just as good when you want to whip them out again next autumn.

Happy shopping!


*Both images are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment